Saturday, May 9, 2015

Good Will Hunting

"Undecided Career Path? Do What You're Good At"



Google Movie Synopsis:
Will Hunting (Matt Damon) has a genius-level IQ but chooses to work as a janitor at MIT. When he solves a difficult graduate-level math problem, his talents are discovered by Professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard), who decides to help the misguided youth reach his potential. When Will is arrested for attacking a police officer, Professor Lambeau makes a deal to get leniency for him if he will get treatment from therapist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams).

Scenario:
Will and his friend, Chuckie (Ben Affleck) are wrapping up a day at the construction site when they begin discussing Will's recent job opportunities and goals for the future.

Selected Scene:
Chuckie:  Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way but, in 20 years if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house, watchin' the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill ya. That's not a threat, that's a fact, I'll fuckin' kill ya. 
Will:  What the fuck you talkin' about? 
Chuckie:  Look, you got somethin' none of us have... 
Will:  Oh, come on! Why is it always this? I mean, I fuckin' owe it to myself to do this or that. What if I don't want to? 
Chuckie:  No. No, no no no. Fuck you, you don't owe it to yourself man, you owe it to me. Cuz tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and I'll be 50, and I'll still be doin' this shit. And that's all right. That's fine. I mean, you're sittin' on a winning lottery ticket. And you're too much of a pussy to cash it in, and that's bullshit. Cuz I'd do fuckin' anything to have what you got. So would any of these fuckin' guys. It'd be an insult to us if you're still here in 20 years. Hangin' around here is a fuckin' waste of your time. 
Will:  You don’t know that 
Chuckie: I don’t? 
Will: No, you don’t know that 
Chuckie:  Oh, I don’t know that?  Let me tell you what I do know, every day I come by your house and pick you up, we go out have a few drinks and a few laughs and it’s great. You know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds from when I pull up to the curb and when I get to your door, I think maybe when I get up there and I knock on the door you won't be there, no goodbye, no see ya' later, no nothin’ just left, I don’t know much but I know that.
Business Tip:
There are probably two major decisions we all make early in life related to our professional careers, the first, what degree should you pursue in college? The other, what line of work? They're both similar choices, they are often decided by what we want to do or what our preference happens to be at that particular time in our life. However, as we begin to obtain experience in various industries or specific roles, our career opportunities increase.  These opportunities in most cases are usually completely different in terms of career track, lifestyle, and job experience.  As in the case of Will, an argument can be made that he knew what he wanted to do, he wanted to be just one of the guys. He could also be where he was in life because he was unsure of what he wanted to do, professionally and the path of least resistance was what he chose.  If you have been told that you have a unique skill or that you are good with a particular job, this can be your path of least resistance and also your calling to explore just how far you can go with your natural talent. Ask yourself, what would it be like if Einstein gave up all he had accomplished!