Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Shawshank Redemption

"Dreams: The Roadmap to Your Goals"



Google Movie Synopsis:
Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison for the murders of his wife and her lover and is sentenced to a tough prison. However, only Andy knows he didn't commit the crimes. While there, he forms a friendship with Red (Morgan Freeman), experiences brutality of prison life, adapts, helps the warden, etc., all in 19 years.

Scenario:
Andy and Red are sitting outside in the prison yard talking about what things could look like if they ever get out of Shawshank.

Selected Scene:
                         Andy:             Know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?

Red:                No

Andy:             They say it has no memory, that’s where I want to live the rest of my life, a warm place without no memory. Open up a little hotel right on the beach, buy some worthless old boat, fix it up new, take my guests out charter fishing.

Red:                Zihuatanejo

Andy:             A place like that I can use a man that knows how to get things.

Red:                I don’t think I can make it on the outside, Andy.  I’ve been in here most of my life, I’m an institutional man now, just like Brooks was

Andy:             Well, I think you underestimate yourself

Red:                I don’t think so, in here I’m the guy who can get things for you, sure but outside, all you need is the yellow pages, hell, I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Pacific Ocean, shit, ‘bout to scare me to death something that big.    

Andy:             Not me, I didn’t shoot my wife and I didn’t shoot her lover, whatever mistakes I made I paid for them and then some, that hotel, that boat, I don’t think that’s too much to ask.    

Red:                I don’t think you ought to be doing this to yourself, Andy. This is just shitty pipe dreams. I mean, Mexico is way the hell down there and you’re in here, and that’s the way it is.

Andy:             Yeah, right. That’s the way it is. It’s down there and I’m in here. I guess it comes down to a simple choice really, get busy living or get busy dying.


Business Tip  
Have you ever jumped in a car and went on a road trip without planning your final destination?  If so, more than likely you needed to getaway or clear your mind and the destination was not important, just as long as you were going somewhere.  On the other hand, when you need to get somewhere by driving, you use a map, review alternative routes, identify gas stations and hotels, if needed.  The same is true with a career or a business.  If you do not have a documented goal or objective, it is nearly impossible to know where you are going or how to get there.  Our dreams provide us the foundation for setting goals or our destination, it is up to us to find and create the map. Andy’s dream of opening a charting fishing business in Mexico was the drive he needed to plan and prepare for his escape and attain his goal. Once you have a goal of owning your own business or becoming an executive within your current company, with the determination to succeed, you will find yourself crawling through anything to get there!