Sunday, February 22, 2015

Meet the Parents

"Set Up a Home Office"



Google Movie Synopsis:
Now that Greg Focker is "in" with his soon-to-be in-laws, Jack and Dina Byrnes, it looks like smooth sailing for him and his fiancée, Pam. But that's before Pam's parents meet Greg's parents, the Fockers. The hyper-relaxed Fockers and the tightly-wound Byrneses are woefully mismatched from the start, and no matter how hard Greg and Pam try, there is just no bringing their families together. This all adds up to a disastrously funny time of getting to know you.

Scenario:
Greg stumbles onto a hidden door that leads to a secluded office in the basement with photos of Jack with President Clinton, Secretary Powell, and others. The office is equipped with an ergonomic chair, computer, printer, desk mat, land-line phone, books and even a lie detector. Basically, the office is set-up with everything Jack needs to keep up with his daily work.

Selected Scene:
Greg: Operation Ko Samui 
Jack:  Looking for something Greg? 
Greg:  Oh, Jesus Jack, you scared me! 
Jack:   Well, I heard a noise so I came down to see if everything was okay. 
Greg:  Everything is fine, I just, I’m sorry I saw a light on in here and I kind
  stumbled in, I didn’t realize 
Jack:  Well, that’s okay, see anything interesting? 
Greg:  No, not at all, I mean, I mean, I mean this is great though, I love this,
  what you… it’s a cozy little nook 
Jack:   I noticed you were looking at that when I came in 
Greg: Yeah 
Jack:  It’s an antique polygraph machine 
Greg:  Is that what that is? ‘cuz I’ve seen these before, I’ve never
 saw one up close. 
Jack:  You know what, why don't you try that on.

Business Tip:
When you look at our lives and how we lay out of our homes, most of us have a TV room, Living room, Dining room and possibly a game room, so why not set up a room as a mobile office? If you do not have the square footage for a full room at least create a work station in an area conducive to taking a private call or working on a confidential memo. I’m sure most have a computer on a desk or table somewhere accessible, but there’s a big difference between a computer and a office, as you can see from the above scenario.

In Jack’s office, we notice he has all the amenities, not excluding a lie detector. Obviously, a lie detector is not for all of us, however it does represent an item that is unique to his work and allowed him immediate access to research and test his future son-in law.  Access and convenience are the two primary reasons for having a working office at home.  Don’t miss those wonderful “got it” moments when you get hit with the answer to that difficult problem you’ve been struggling with the past week or so. Plus, where else are you going to hang up your photo with the President?